The Lords Chips





Friday, January 23, 2015

A Changed Man

We received a letter from Elder Medina in the mail today. I wanted to remember the feelings I had while it read it, so I decided to jot it down here. I was overcome by a spirit of peace. I could feel in his words, the change that was happening or that has happened while on his mission. You always hear that you send them away as a boy and they come back as a Man. Today I truly felt that. He has changed and is changing in ways that I never could have prepared him for, this was and is the Lord's work in action. I'm proud of the "changed man" that he has become.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I am writing this letter for two purposes. 1- I am the worst son in the world and haven't bothered to send you a letter and 2- to apologize.

I know I'm not the best kid. Something that I would like to thank you for is for the outstanding love you have always given to me, even though I have done things to grind your gears. Second, the support. Mom, I have never had a better offense and defensive cheerleader in my whole life. You give off so much energy that I can't explain it. Dad, you have always been my trainer, on and off the field, mat or track. And you both keep doing it and I am grateful for it.

My mission up until this point has been pretty tough actually. I'm just now starting to learn how to budget and how to keep one. Not easy at all, but totally worth it. Mom, you're my hero for giving me the example on doing that with 5 kids. Do you remember the envelope system that you taught me before I left (that I hated?) I use that now. It works so well.

Dad, working like a man! Not worrying about people trashing or hating you. Everyday I have people, even kids yelling derogative Mormon slurs and openly disrespecting my companion and I. I have had to learn how to be an example and contain myself and turn my anger to love and compassion towards them. Not a lot of the world loves you for the profession that you have Dad, but you don't let it get you down.

These are only a few of the million things that you both have taught me. What I've been trying to do is magnify your love that you have for me to others. My investigators don't complete a lot of the commitments we leave with them and it hurts to see them not progressing. I'm sure that's how you and Dad feel when I don't progress, you are so sad and I'm sure a bit disappointed. I am sorry for any inconvenience I have caused you guys. I love you both no matter what in the world. I'm trying so hard to be a better person.

Sincerely,

Elder Medina

P.S thank you for doing family prayer, scriptures and FHE. You will all have more blessings than you ever know.

He also wrote Diego a really nice 2 page letter. He told him about eating Iguana and about eating "Nacho Libre" corn. He promised to teach him how to make it when he comes home in August.6 months can't come soon enough.!

No comments:

Post a Comment